Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Good Decisions!

One of the things I am trying to do every day is make GOOD decisions, one at a time.

Today, I took my kids to a waterpark all by myself. You're not allowed to bring in food, but they have nothing there that's remotely something I would want to waste calories on. So I snuck a Luna High Protein bar in and had that for lunch while the kids had hot dogs. A good decision! I was proud of myself. And then when I got home mid-afternoon, I had an apple and some string cheese. And you know, I felt soooo much better than I would have if I had eaten a burger and fries.

I would feel bad about sneaking the food in, but how hard is it for them to serve a salad, or a fruit salad, or yogurt, or ANYTHING besides hot dogs, burgers, pizza, and fries? Honestly, I felt guilty feeding my kids that crap, too, but there were just no decent choices - not even a grilled chicken sandwich or something. At any rate, I have to admit that the french fries the kids ate smelled wonderful, but I stuck with it. I also took advantage of the free ice water the waterpark will give you if you ask, because it was 100 degrees here today! Holy crap that is HOT!

I am going to contact the waterpark and ask about healthier choices - maybe there's another snack bar in another location with better options. We will be spending a lot of time there this summer (season passes!) and I would like to feed us all wisely.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to take my kids to the water park by myself, haha! You're my hero! :)
    And *Hi* by the way! Thanks for commenting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband travels a lot for work, so if I don't do things by myself they never get done! I will admit that I was a bit daunted by the task, but it turned out easier than I thought and next time will be a breeze b/c I will be so prepared.

    And Hi back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only experience with taking kids to a pool: When I was in college I babysat a little girl, she was adorable, who was two at the time. She liked to cling to my leg if we went out in public. Going to the pool though she loved and would try to act like a big girl in the kiddie pool--not needing help and did.not.want.it. Yeah, she slipped and went under just long enough to swallow water and she then puked. :o She bawled, I grabbed her and ran. On the way out I told the life guard someone's kid puked in the pool---oops, little lie there!

    Way to go though on not eating junk those type of places serve. It's like going to the fair and keeping the Pronto Pup or funnel cakes at bay---so hard! I would have brought snacks also ;) I do that at the theaters too!

    ReplyDelete