Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Intimately Acquainted with the Gym Toilet

I had my first appointment with my personal trainer today. It was tough. I have never done anything like this before - previous weight loss attempts have almost always just been due to diet changes and slight exercise like walking. I have never really done weight training or had any assistance figuring out what I should be doing.

I had no idea what to expect. Well, let me tell you - it was really tough. He pushed me. I thought my arms were going to collapse at one point. And then after it was all over and we were sitting and discussing my nutrition guidelines, etc....I had to run for the bathroom to puke. How glamorous.

I have to admit that at that point, hugging the porcelain bowl at the gym, I thought "ok, personal training is not for me." I can't fathom being in that much distress on a weekly basis. But once I had puked and calmed down a bit, I knew I'd made the right decision to have a personal trainer. I need help. We will meet 1 or 2 times per week - more frequently in the beginning and then less as I get my feet under me. Because I am so ignorant about the various machines and muscles and how to work them, I feel like this is imperative. The trainers say 12 months from now I will be a different person. Fair enough. I just hope I don't have to puke every time. I will admit that I am intimidated by the training process but I think I need this to push myself.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! As they say, you'll always remember your first (appointment with a trainer)! I'm proud of you for beginning your weight loss journey - it takes strength and courage, but it's worth it. Keep it up!
    PS Thanks for adding me to your blog roll!

    ReplyDelete